30 Days Till 'Chella: Your Ultimate Countdown List
It's a 'Chellabration
Today marks our 30-day countdown until we begin our descent into the most magical place in the world... Coachella Valley. If you're a gang member not a tourist *Future Voice* welcome to Weekend 1 of the three-day festival in Indio, California. Chances are that you have seen the hashtags naming it #Beychella in dedication to Beyonce headlining, but there are powerful acts all weekend like 6LACK, Amine, Daniel Caesar, Benjamin Clementine, Jacob Banks, Cardi B, Chloe X Halle, and tons more. I am very very pleased with the selections for this year.. and of course Beyonce.
By now you have your house booked (hopefully), flights purchased (hopefully, again) and you are prepared to step into the frolicsome valley. As you get ready to take flight in the next 30 days here are some things from the festival pros (ie me and my friends ) for things to grab to to ensure you are ready for Coachella 2018.
Coachella is the upper echelon of fairyland mystical fashion runways. You can go as simple or as out there as you want to. I say go to the max and express your style, but try to stay away from appropriation. Culture = /= fashion but that is a different rant for another day.
- Wear comfortable shoes that you don't mind getting dusty and you know that you can wear all day. Try classic Chuck Taylors , platform shoes, or even a comfy pair of Birkenstocks (don't knock em till you try em). Don't forget socks!
- Don't be tricked by all the pictures in the sun, the crop tops, and the short shorts. It can drop to 50 degrees at night. Grab something to keep you warm like a camo jacket, or sweatshirt. In case rain is on the forecast cheap ponchos are easy to pack.
- Sunglasses are a must! Top off your outfit with the perfect eye-catching (corny joke intended) accessory. Opt for an some narrow cat eye glasses from Quay Australia's festival line, oversized round glasses , or a pair of designer Jimmy Choo's.
- Stores like Missguided, Pretty Little Things, and Boohoo have affordable festival-specific categories for you to shop. If looking for outfit inspiration check out Pinterest and search the hashtag and location for Coachella. There are pages like @coachella_looks, @coachella.style , and @coachella.fashionn to grab some ideas. They are a little ahem *melanin deficient* so also look towards Afro Punk tags for great shots as well. Most people wear the same clothes they will wear to the grounds to the day parties as well so take that into consideration.
- Swimsuits. If your house or community has a pool go take a dip before heading to the grounds.
- To keep all of your goodies in one place grab a backpack or fanny pack for easy, safe access.
Speaking of Backpacks and bags....
There are some essentials that you are going to want to grab.
- Bandana. The dust is real. Protect ya neck and ya lungs, boo.
- Portable Chargers. Between Instagram, taking pics, checking festival schedules and times, and communication you are going to need it. (TIP: take screenshots of the festival times and save them as the background to your phone)
- Small blanket or towel to sit on
- Sunscreen and chap stick with SPF. Don't have Dutchess lips in your pics.
- Small first aid kit.
- Tissues. I got busted in my lip at Camp Flog Gnaw in 2016 during a Rae Sremmurd mosh pit with 18-year-old Anglo Saxon boys. Anything can happen.
- Hand sanitizer
- Collapsible water bottle. No glass or metal water containers are allowed but there are water refill stations located around the grounds. You can opt for a hydration backpack
- Pedialyte packs or electrolyte tabs. Whatever your vice is, may the force be with you.
- Point and shoot camera. If you read the festival rules you see that you see that cameras with detachable lens, drones, etc are not allowed but outside of your bomb iPhone pics (feel the palm tree shade Android users) you can opt for a cool choice like the Fujifilm Instax. Also it is listed that that selfie sticks, tripods or narcissists aren't allowed; that comes straight from the horse's mouth ie the Coachella website.
As last minute reminders, don't forget to grab your wristband, book your lockers, take cash out to buy food, and be ready to lose your mind. If you're going Weekend 1 feel free to hit me up :-) If you aren't (sad face) follow my Instagram stories to see SOME of the action.
Be sure to access my Resource Library to download the packing guide to help you sort your necessary items for the the trip and get to packing.
As always, stay classy my friends. Especially in the valley.